Today marks 54 years since the assassination of Malcolm X. To many, he continues to serve as a teacher and guiding light for those in search of knowledge and freedom. In the face of steep oppression, he continually championed the human rights of not only Black Americans but the Pan African World as a whole.
His words are continual reminders of what it means to advocate for social justice, freedom, self-worth, and integrity.
Here are 10 Malcolm X Quotes to Live By:
1. I’m for truth, no matter who tells it. I’m for justice, no matter who it’s for or against.
2. You can’t separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.
3. Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
4. There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.
5. You’re not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can’t face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it.
6. I just don’t believe that when people are being unjustly oppressed that they should let someone else set rules for them by which they can come out from under that oppression.
7. Stumbling is not falling.
8. Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
9. If you have no critics you’ll likely have no success.
10. Power in defense of freedom is greater than power in behalf of tyranny and oppression, because power, real power, comes from our conviction which produces action, uncompromising action.